Olive fields by Noreen

Olive fields by Noreen
Mysterious, primordial world

Friday 22 July 2022

DAY TRIP TO EAST CORK

 We are getting out and about.  We enjoyed a day trip to Youghal, Co. Cork.  It's a quiet town in east Cork with a nice long sandy beach.  My family and I went there frequently during the warm summers of the 1960's.  Sometimes we would travel there by train.  Other times my uncle Jerry would drive us in his very old green Hillman car. I have happy memories of our childhood trips  and still get a jolt of happiness as we enter the town.  Flashing  memories of crowds pouring out from the train, us running out into the sea, not feeling the cold of the water, not wanting to get out when we were called by my father,  'Five more minutes please' we pleaded and thankfully he would always give in. I remember the ice cream, the Merry go rounds and pestering my mother for more money for yet another spin in the bumpers, the sound of The Beatles as we bumped and swerved in the colourful bumper cars. 

 The train line is long gone. Grass and brambles cover the old tracks. The fairground is gone. It was replaced by a tall ugly block of apartments. Thankfully the beach and the view of the horizon is still the same. Little did I know those days would stay in my memory all of my life! 






 



No comments:

Post a Comment