Olive fields by Noreen

Olive fields by Noreen
Mysterious, primordial world

Sunday 9 December 2018

ADJUSTING OUR FOCUS AGAIN!

We are back in Ireland almost a month.  Our first 4 days were spent with our daughter in Dublin and the following Friday we traveled by train from Heuston station to Cork.  We were pleasantly surprised with a full day of sunshine and the back garden still held some autumn colour.  

However, It took me about 2 weeks to adjust to the drop in temperatures.  We had prepared some firewood in the garage during the summer and this was a welcome sight on our return.  Mr. D. lit the new stove and we basked in the warmth. It didn't take long for the rain to return. I've become quite accurate in judging time between the showers and cycling to the supermarket.  So far, I've managed to get drenched on only two occasions.

 It didn't take long for our wood supply to burn out so the search was on for a firewood supplier.  I found several on the internet but to my surprise they were all extremely busy and none were local.  They couldn't guarantee a delivery for at least a week and some said I was too far away! I eventually found a young man in Mallow, north Cork who was happy to supply a trailer load. It took him one hour to drive to our house but he was kind enough to help unload the logs. He also agreed, at a price, to cut up some large logs which we had in the front garden since the summer.  They were far to big for our little hand saw. You can see them here beside my bicycle. They are great, very slow burning and give off great heat.
There is just about enough space for the three bicycles and the logs in the garage. It's a tight squeeze to get to the garage door!

Being back in Ireland means my focus has changed yet again, I'm acutely aware that the sea is far from me now and there is no roof terrace with magical sunsets.   I took full advantage of it in Turkey by swimming three times a week and walking by the sea on the other days. There is sunshine here in Ireland but it's intermittent!

'

 When I look out my window here in Cork, there is no sea view.  It's mostly a grey sky which greets me.  I decided to bring the sea to my dining room!  I've hung some of my seascapes on the walls and they do manage to bring a certain cheerfulness to the room. I long to do some gardening but it's impossible most days because of the dampness and the cold.  I did however plant up two window boxes on my front window with some cyclamen and winter flowering pansies. They have already added a splash of colour. I also noticed daffodil bulbs are starting to shoot!  Spring is on the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment