Olive fields by Noreen

Olive fields by Noreen
Mysterious, primordial world

Monday 26 April 2021

THE BIG DIG

There are some garden jobs which are a bit daunting and therefore get put to the end of my to do list.
One such job was a rather large Euphorbia.  I have had them in my garden for years.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_mellifera

They keep seeding and I pot them up and donate to charity plant sales.
One of these seedings grew in my sunny part of the garden and as it grew it blocked out light from other plants. Being away in Turkey for so many years I noticed a huge difference in it when we moved back to Ireland.
With the improvement in the weather and warm April days I decided to cut it back.  This I did and was left with a huge stump.  I dug away the soil as much as I could but there was no budge in the roots.



Two days later and more digging and still no budge. 
My sister Ber said she would come armed with a crowbar and we would stay at it until it came out.
She arrived next day prepared for work dressed in her gardening clothes and we set to work.  She reminded me to take breaks stretching our backs and doing spinal exercises as we went.
The crowbar was good. It got in under the roots where the spade would not go.  
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment